Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Girlfriends

Girlfriends:

We nurture each other. We are steadfastly in the background of each other's lives. Then, when we get together, our love for each other comes to the forefront. It is like we have always been this important, this prominent with one another. Our separate lives fall behind us and our girlfriend times take the lead for one lunch, one night, one weekend. How special the time is, how fun...how there is truly nothing else like it.

Like Mary Magdalene with Jesus, my girlfriends are always present in the background in my life's journey. They are not noticed by anyone who sees me on a daily basis, but let something profound, miraculous, devastating, joyous, major happen and they are there for me as I am for them. We will wipe each others' feet, wounds and tears. We visit and pray when someone is sick; celebrate each others' triumphs, follow each other into Jerusalem and help bear each others' crosses.

No matter how each of our journeys may go, the others will be there, waiting with love, a word, a touch, a heart that only comes from girlfriends......always to the end.

"This is my command: Love each other." John 15:17

No comments: