Tuesday, November 13, 2007

All the Angels

Do you remember some years back the rage about Angels? Angels became en vogue. Books were written, pins worn, stores were opened and theories tossed about. Suddenly, people were focusing more on God's heavenly hosts than the Host Himself. Angels were all around us...you could call on them for protection and help...they were beautiful creatures ever-present in our world, just hard to see unless you really believed. I never got into that. I always felt that I only needed to call on the Lord who is always at work around us, an ever-present help in time of trouble, hard to see unless you believe......

Well, all the angel hub-bub has died down. There are still angel pins, statues, cards and dolls,
but they are not the be-all focus they once were. A lesson maybe in God being our one true and faithful constant in life, our center of the spokes on the wheel.

Even though I never got caught in the angel rage, I think about that time (late 90's) and realize that I had no way of knowing that I myself would end up seeing so many angels in the next decade.

These angels I know do not wear white robes, they wear colorful scrubs and dye their hair red. They do not have wings, they have kids who play soccer and dogs they take on vacations. They sing in an earthly choir at church and do Sudoku like me. They will pray with me when they think no one else can hear and hug me every chance they get. Every week, they smile, stick me with a needle and pour toxic liquids into my veins with as much positive energy as you can imagine. They treat people like me every day, five days a week. People whom they come to love, some people they know they will watch slowly go downhill, people they help cure, people they help live longer, people they lose. They hold trembling hands, dry tears and cry their own.
They share our joy in victories and mourn our failures. They represent hope, health, and a promise of another day. These angels make a horrible and nasty time bearable, pleasant, heck sometimes, even fun.

The angels I see today are here on earth in the form of oncology nurses. They have names like Janet, Jan, Gail, Jennifer, Lynn and Jeanine. They are tireless in their mission. They are beautiful creatures ever-present in my world. I look to them for protection and help. Sometimes I think most people can't see them for what they really are, because, unlike me,
they don't believe. I know where all the angels are....believe me. God has put them in a small oncology office in Cary NC.

"....some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2"

No comments: