Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Letter from "Camp"

Dearest Maha, Janet, and the girls,

I have been having a great time here a Camp Takabrake. It is really swell, although it has been very hot the last couple of days. I thought you all might like to know what I've been doing while I've been away. Camp Takabrake has offered me several opportunities and activities that I have been missing since the last time I was at Camp during the summer of 2005.

Kayaking---you would have been so proud of me. I drove to the lake, got the kayak out of the shed, loaded it in the back of our SUV, launched it at the boat dock, and paddled around for 2 hours. The wildlife was beautiful and the lake was as flat as a pancake. Then I got the kayak back to the lake house shed and drove back home...all by myself. I did not even have to take an extra "Helper pill" that night for pain. I was so proud and knew you would be, too.

Hiking---I have spent some time in the mountains and took various paths along the Blue Ridge
Parkway. Although some of the hills left me a little breathless, they did the same thing to my husband, so I felt proud again. I did not have to stay in the car and just look!

Crafts--I have been wanting to make small prayer cloths for people who need them, so I did. They are very pretty and have a healing scripture on them. I made four and have already given two away. I can't wait to show them to you.

Walking--I get to go to the beach some and every time I am there, I seem to walk for very long stretches. I have made 2 1/2 miles twice! I have also conquered the very long and steep hill on my street.

Landscaping--You would not believe it, but just yesterday evening, I helped spread buckets and buckets of mulch in my yard. I wore gloves and drank plenty of water and sweated like a man,
but it was fun to get out and play in the dirt.

Boating--My family came for a weekend and the lake. We went out on our boat and had lunch out on the water. We played beach music and grilled out and watched the sunset. It was wonderful. And yes, I did drink wine.(hee, hee) I also got a little bit of a suntan, something I could now do without fear of a drug-interaction.

Field Trip--My husband and I took a field trip to Childress Wineries and sat on the large upstairs veranda. having lunch in the shade and listening to a band and enjoying the breeze, the scenery, and yes, the wine.

I have done a bunch of other little things, and even though it sounds like I am bragging about what I've been doing at Camp Takabrake, I'm really not. In reality, I am so humbled by the fact that I have done these things and more. I wanted you all to know how blessed I am to feel my body recovering; to get a good night's sleep; to see my eyelashes and eyebrows again; to have hair on my head again; to not have constant aches and pains and concerns. To giggle with joy at the simplest of things because not only am I away at "camp", but I am alive. I am alive and I am amazed by what God and we have accomplished.

Being away has been fun, but I think of you all, every day. I look forward to seeing you soon on "visitors day" this coming Monday. Until then, the blessings of God be with you all.

Love,
Kathy

No comments: