Tuesday, June 17, 2008

22,700

That's how many people turned out for the Race for the Cure this past Saturday. What a great affirmation of the love and support people have for the ones who have been affected by breast cancer. It was truly overwhelming and emotional.

I had gone out to the race site to watch my daughter run the 5k at 9:00. When her running partners fell through, she told me she did not want to run the course alone. Without hesitation, I said, "If you'll walk with me, I'll walk it with you." (5k.....that's 3.2 miles, right?) I didn't even have on the right shoes, but they were close enough. So off we went, my beautiful daughter and I. A sea of people walking in front of us, a sea of people behind us. I had no idea if I could go the distance....I had every hope that I could.

We walked past houses where people sprayed you down with water, had music playing or were just standing on their porches and clapping. We walked past an 87 year old woman in her rocker
who had a 27-year survivor banner hung on her porch. We walked past a couple dancing on their front porch where a huge oak had been adorned with hot pink wooden ribbons. We passed a church handing out cups of water, where every tree had been tied with light pink netting ribbons. We walked past a fellow walker who was pushing his mother in a wheel chair. And everywhere, all along the route, there were people, from babies to grandpas, cheering and clapping. I cannot do the whole scene justice with the written word. Those of you who were there to see it know what I'm talking about. Before I knew it, we were almost home.

What nobody really saw, what was the greatest thing and no one could have possibly guessed the significance of, is that right when Katie and I made the last turn heading to the finish line; right when we could see the tower with the timer, and hear the announcer encouraging us all to the end, my daughter reached out her hand and said "together?" I grabbed her hand and said "together...you better believe it." For a moment, amid the sea of humanity, there was just the two of us, finishing a little journey.....hand in hand, together. I knew then that she knew just how significant a walk this had been. She has no idea of what a special moment that was for me.

I thank God for that moment. It is a snapshot in my head forever. Who'd have thought it?
Walking a 5k in the spring of 2008. It was the best and easiest walk I have ever taken.

"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord." Psalm 89:15

No comments: