Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Isn't God Funny?

Oh, sometimes God is funny. He will do just a little something to let you know He sees your efforts and applauds them and He never hesitates to give a gentle correction when needed.
That happened to me today.
I volunteer on Tuesdays at our church's food bank. I am not there to help distribute food. I am there to pray. We offer prayer to anyone who walks through the doors. God has done so much for me, I really just wanted to give back...help a soul...help heal a heart....pray for another....take the focus off me and onto someone else. At least every other person will want prayer for some type of physical healing.
Now let me interject here and say that I am fascinated by medical things. I could sit through an operation, watch blood and guts in the ER, witness practically any procedure...even ones done on me. But there are three things that really bother me: skin eruptions, knee injuries, and eyeballs.
I know, it's weird, particularly the knee thing, but I get the heebies when I see anything medically happening with those three things.

The first day I volunteered, I prayed for a woman with eczema. It was on her arms and legs. I had to confess to my prayer partner how difficult it had been for me to look at her rashes. He just smiled and said that everyone has something that gives them the willies. I did not mention that I had other willy-producers.

Today, our first two prayer requests were for knees. One lady's knee had been operated on so much, most of her kneecap was gone. Her scars were impressive. My teeth were clenched. When the second lady came in, 2 weeks out from a knee replacement, tape still over her incision, I really had to swallow hard and pray harder. It was then that I knew God was up to something.

We took a break and were helping bag cherry tomatoes when I told my prayer partner about the trouble I had with knees.....and oh yes, the soft cherry tomatoes that were too ripe reminded me of my third problem area, eyeballs. We all had a good laugh over my three icky things and went back to our next request for prayer. It was a woman and her father. (You know where this is going) When we asked "what do you want Jesus to do for you today?", the father said immediately, "I've got this problem with my left eye." I could have fallen out of my chair. My prayer partner just turned to me with this divine little smirk on his face. We both knew God was in the room, making a point to me, telling me I had to get over it. Every condition is to be prayed for with no discrimination.

Then, to top it off, when we walked back into the waiting area, the lady with the eczema was back. She wanted more prayer. Her skin was visibly better, and you know what? So was I. No heebies. Thanks, God. I got your message.

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that you may do all things....." 2 Cor 9:8

No comments: