Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Breast Cancer Boat

Are you in my boat? I used to try relentlessy to find someone in my boat. After being diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer in May of 2001, I was so desperate to find someone like me....young like me (45), node-positive like me (8), taking massive amounts of chemo like me, having a Stem Cell Transplant like me. I couldn't find another kindred soul like me back then.
I thought I was all alone in my boat.

Then, it dawned on me. I wasn't alone in this boat. No! I turned around and saw through my fear-filled eyes that my boat was full of people! Full of my family, full of friends and neighbors, full of prayer warriors, full of doctors and nurses. All of them were willing to step into my boat....my boat that was getting tossed and turned on the angry sea in the midst of the storm that was raging around me.

My boat was full and God's hands were there to hold us steady through the storm and see us all safely to the shore. I am still in the boat, still being tossed about in the eye of the storm.
But I am never alone. Almost seven years later, many people have stepped in and out of this boat....so many things have happened...so many stories to tell.

Are you in your own boat, feeling alone, frightened, dazed and tossed about. Take heart sister.
As the storm rages around you, you are not alone. There is a promise for you from your Father:

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:2


No comments: