Thursday, March 5, 2009

She didn't make it to church

6:41 pm. That's what time the call from Janet came across last night. I saw the number on my caller ID. I felt it must be good news, important news for me to hear. She must have known that I did not want to spend another night waiting for blood results. She must have known if she did not call me on Wednesday, I would think that the news was bad......despair and disappointment would be waiting for me on Thursday.

So even though she wanted to make it to church, she sat down to a pile of e-mails and paperwork and found my reports and called me. Liver functions normal....tumor marker down 300 points.....regimen working.....runaway cells in retreat. We had been calling my condition what we wanted, if you remember. Standing on the scripture about Abraham's faith and "calling things that are not as though they were." We had gotten what we called for. God was listening.

Remarkable, really, that she would take the time at the end of the day to sort through all that information and bring relief, joy and peace to my evening. I know she didn't make it to church,
but I had a little church right in my living room because of that call. I don't think God minds that she worked her way past Wednesday night services. He knows her well. He knows her heart.
He knew she would make the choice to deliver the news of hope to me and miss some time in His house. And he knows I thank Him every day that she has the heart to make that call.

"You hear, O Lord the desire of the afflicted: you encourage them, and you listen to their cry."
Psalm 10:17

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh I am so glad you got great news. My marker is steady rising after several different therapies. I had several scans today and an ov on Monday to decide what to try now. Thanks again for being an encouragement to me. I hope God will turn this around for me. I'm 43 with 2 daughters, one is married and almost 21 and one is a 17 year old senior in high school. This is my second go round too, now at stage 4. I hate cancer but even still I know I've lived more than most. My brother died at 17 and Jesus himself only got 33 years. I really try not to complain. I don't want to be thought of as a complainer. I just want to be thankful and joyful every day I get.