Friday, April 11, 2008

Glimpse x 3

This is the third entry where I'm going to write about glimpses....little windows of time where time is magnified and things have real meaning. Remember when I wrote about the first glimpse? It was waaaaay back in November '07. I was laying in the PET scanner having what would turn out to be devastating pictures taken of my body to see why my marker was so high and where the creeping enemy had crept to. I had a moment that, after being on chemotherapy regimens for almost two years solid, my body felt healthy and normal. I did not know what that glimpse was about then, but I do now. It was God promising that no matter what I was going to hear over the next frightening weeks, I would feel okay again. Of couse, He was true to His word. It happened yesterday. From the time I woke up until the time I finally went to sleep, I had a full, active day...walking, dancing around the house ("dance it out"), running errands, grilling out, having a glass of wine..enjoying the day pain free, fatigue free. When I finally made it to bed close to 11:00 p.m., my feet ached, but it was just because I was on them all day, not from neuropathy. All day I was aware of the fact that I felt so alive, so healthy. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I couldn't stop being grateful to God.

Today has started off in much the same manor. I have been working at my job, dancing around the house, ready to take on another normal day. As I sat down to write I couldn't help but think about the glimpses we get as we go through life. Do we pay enough attention when God offers them to us?? I don't think so.

Wednesday I sat with a fellow soldier named Sara. She has been metastatic one year less than me. She had a lot of questions. We talked about a lot of chemos and options. She doesn't want to lose her hair...she wants to be as normal as possible. I hope that as we sat there, she realized she was getting a glimpse. She was getting a small window of time with me, magnified, where she could look into the future and know that even when the disease seems to be taking over, even when your marker is over 1000, even when your doctor asks you to bring in a list of things you want to get done in your remaining life for your next consultation, there is still hope. I, along with Maha and Janet, had put hope on the line, I had put my hope in the Lord, and look what I got......a glimpse come true....a small promise fulfilled.

Don't miss the glimpses, you may miss the promise:

"I have promised to bring you up out of your misery........into the land of milk and honey" Exodus 3:17

No comments: