Thursday, March 20, 2008

Walk With Me

"You need to ask Jesus for things you specifically want to do" my sister-in law said to me. We were talking on the phone the Saturday after my last treatment. I was a hurting puppy. Every muscle and bone in my body seemed to ache. I was in the bed...she had called for encouragement. I didn't know what to ask for at first. Then I said" I want to walk a mile without my feet hurting."
She told me that was a good start....but why limit myself to just a mile. Why limit what God can do in the everyday??? I decided that when I got back from my traveling, I would start.
The next day, as I was running errands, trying to get ready to leave for KY for a week, I was sitting at a stop light, wondering where I would do my walking. My neighborhood has too much construction and just one short street that is very hilly. Where would I walk? Of course, God had the answer for me right at that stoplight. I looked to my right and there was a church with a sign on its marquis that said "New one mile prayer walk now open." BAM! Thanks Lord. I now know where I will be walking.
But the story doesn't end there..no-no. God is so much bigger than we can ever imagine. Tuesday, I was packing for a short business trip to Myrtle Beach. A little whisper said "Pack your work-out clothes." Even though it took me some extra time to dig them out, I packed up a t-shirt, sweat pants, hoodie, and tennis shoes.
Yesterday, I woke up, put on the workout clothes and went to the beach. I started out to the north, toward some tall hotels, one with a cupola on top that looked like a steeple. "I'll walk that far," I told myself. When I got to the hotel, I felt like it wasn't time to stop. So I looked further north and there was a second hotel with the same steeple-like detail on top way on up the beach. That's where I turned around and headed back to my car.

Several things I will never forget about that walk:
It was the first true exercise I had done in over a year.
My feet never hurt me.
My knees never hurt me.
It felt effortless and natural
Even though I walked at a very quick clip, I never once felt winded
And when I got in the car to clock how far I had gone, it was exactly one mile to that second hotel. There and back was two!
I had gotten my prayer answered for the one mile walk, and God had added a second mile at no charge.
It just goes to show you, you can't but God in a box. I will be walking with Him from now on. I had always believed that I never walked alone....never did I expect it to be so literal. I thought about that "Footprints in the sand" saying that everyone knows. I was so blessed and humbled. that my footprints stayed strong and true in the sand for the entire two miles. God did not have to carry me, but He walked right beside me the entire time. I have to think He was smiling as big as I was.

"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be weary, they will walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

No comments: